BashSupport Pro: Pricing

Personally I don’t like subscription models too much. To me, a model which gives you updates for a year and unlimited use of the latest compatible version sounds reasonable.

I’d like to make this available via the the marketplace.

What does sound reasonable to you here?
I’d prefer to set different prices for individuals and companies.

Let me know any thoughts you have about this!

1 Like

I have greatly appreciated BashSupport over the years. I am using the new IntelliJ offering now, and while it is nice, it is lacking in some areas.

I would be willing to pay for a BashSupport Pro to fill in the gaps assuming it isn’t too expensive.

I pay for IntelliJ Ultimate as an individual now, so obviously I invest in my tools.

Thanks for your kind words and the thoughts on this!

I’m not planning to make this expensive. It should be sustainable, though.
What price would be reasonable to you as an individual developer?

Can you tell what’s missing for you in JetBrains Shell plugin?

Good question. I feel like the new system is lacking:

1. It does not “enforce” or at least suggest as many rules. Like using [[ instead of [, etc.
  2. It doesn’t provide for things like jumping to a variable declaration.

Pretty much anything that your tool did that is lacking.

I’d probably pay as much as $15 per year. Although eventually I’d drop that.
At like $7 per year I’d do it forever.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts on this!
I’ll keep this in mind when I work on the Pro version.

+1 to $15 for a license + updates for a year.
+1 to $7 forever, but honestly, I’d happily pay $15 yearly for good software.

In Russia and Ukraine people have little money. I’m ready to pay $5 for a year.

The fact is that if you have a subscription to a lot of products, it accumulates a large amount, so you have to think about whether to allocate money for a new one

Thanks for the pointing this out. I don’t think that I’ll be able to make this available for $5 a year, but I’ll look into different pricing per region. I can’t promise anything yet, though.

IMO $15/year is more than acceptable, and still it will probably not be so convenient for the author, considering the tons of hours needed to maintain it.

If you use it professionally, it is a ridiculous price to pay: it’s just $1.25 per month! It’s just about one coffee per month to offer to someone that makes your life a bit better.

I think that’s fair enough.

Thanks for your input. Pricing of a personal license in this range sounds fair to me, too. I think that it’s a good compromise, as I don’t want to make this expensive for the occasional user.
Commercial licenses (i.e. for companies) will follow more conservative pricing, but the exact range is still tbd.

I just came across the Sundown notice and found that you are offering the Pro version for $2.30 USD/month. I like the idea of a debugger and I would be more than happy to pay a reasonable amount for the software, but I am doing everything I can to get away from paying for monthly subscriptions. Given that I am currently not planning to purchase. The cost and effort to track and think about it on a monthly basis is not worth the effort.

However, I would much be willing to pay a larger annual fee. I would also request that you offer a lifetime fallback license to last paid for version — just like JetBrain’s licensing works — because I won’t be programming for a job forever, but would hate to lose access to my tools for personal use the moment I can no longer have a related income to pay for them on a monthly basis.

Hi @mikeschinkel,
thanks for your feedback.
Both annual subscription and fallback license are already there. You’ll also get the automatic 20% discount in the 2nd and 3rd+ year, as with JetBrains’ pricing.

See https://www.bashsupport.com/pro/pricing/ for details. Do you think that this should be made more visible on the website?

You’ll get a fallback license, just as with JetBrains’ tools.
That this means the last paid for version, after 12 months of payment, can be used forever. This doesn’t mean that e.g. version 1.5., which is compatible with 2020.3, could be used with e.g. 2023.1 (in the year 2023) because old versions can’t be updated forever.
In this scenario, you’ll always be able to use 1.5 with 2020.3, of course.

Let me know if there’s anything unclear about pricing and licensing,
Joachim

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the quick response.

Embarrassed to say I did not look on the website, I just saw the message in the IDE that gave a single price so I assumed that was the only option.

Not sure if anybody else will make the same mistake that I did, but if you change your in-IDE message to mention there are other pricing options with a link to your price page I would not have assumed, so maybe others won’t either?

Anyway, thanks!

For an add-on that is not a major feature in one app, I expect to pay about $10/year (average). But unless you subscription is integrated with JetBrain, the subscription model may bring inconvenience for your users.

The feature that interests me is the debug mode. I could accept your current price. But it requires the user to manually install the requirements, I would not say this is persuasive.

Hey @ctc53, could you elaborate what requirements you mean? bashdb is bundled with BashSupport Pro, so you don’t have to install anything except bash itself.

Regarding pricing: what integration with JetBrains are you looking for? The subscription is handled by the JetBrains marketplace, which means that you’d be using the same payment and subscription handling as with JetBrains products.
Pricing is USD 14/year from the 3rd year onwards, I won’t be able to make it less than that.

Regards,
Joachim